Pine Bluff Murals
Jefferson County, Arkansas
Arkansas River and Agriculture in 1908
Cotton farming and river boats have been a familiar part of Pine
Bluff business and industry throughout the city's history.
This scene was recreated from photographs taken around the turn
of the century. The product of a bountiful harvest is being
hauled to the river port on a mule drawn wagon. Commodities
loaded onto river boats were shipped down the Arkansas River to
the Mississippi River and then to New Orleans.
Today the Port of Pine Bluff located on the slackwater harbor of
the Arkansas River has facilities for, barge loading and
unloading, liquid & dry bulk storage, 25 & 50 ton cranes, harbor
tow service, and overseas ports utilizing Lash and Seabee.
Located at 5th & Pine Painted by Alan Wylie of British
Looking north on Main Street from 3rd Avenue you see the
Jefferson County Court House on Barraque Street.
The picture is a compilation of many historic photographs. The
store fronts, names of the old business firms and the mule drawn
street cars are represented just as they were over 100 years
Two figures dominate the foreground of the mural. On the left is
a portrait of Judge J. W. Bocage, an early settler in Pine Bluff
who arrived in the community in 1840. Serving as a judge, mayor,
and historian of the town, he lived until the turn of the
On the right is a portrait of Wiley Jones, owner of the public
transportation system in Pine Bluff in 1888. A freed slave, he
rose to prominence in the community and gained considerable
wealth through his business ventures. He owned and raised
thoroughbred race horses as a hobby and built a race track at
the south end of Main Street.
You can view this mural from across 3rd Avenue and then look
slightly to the right and see the exact same view of present day
downtown Pine Bluff and get the feeling of jumping back and
forward in time.
Located at 3rd & Main Painted by Robert Dafford
Street Pine Bluff 1888
Painted by Robert Dafford & Douglas Dafford,
Lafayette, Louisiana - October 1992
Jefferson County |
| Two |