Lincoln County Court House
Star City, Lincoln County, Arkansas
Lincoln County - Star City
Star City was laid off in 1871 as the county seat of the newly created
Lincoln County which was named in honor of President Abraham Lincoln. If
was the center of many Indian trails and early roads which ran from Mississippi
River landings back into the hill country and of trails on the ridge between
Bayou Bartholomew and the Saline River.
Joslyn - Carder Family
Judge George H. Joslyn was born near Ithaca, New York on August 19,
1840. He came to Arkansas in 1868 and secured land in this area
where he became a planter. His plantation was comprised of 5,000
acres. As a member of the Arkansas State Legislature, he introduced
a bill in 1870 providing for the organization of Lincoln County. He
personally named the new county "Lincoln" in honor of President
Abraham Lincoln, the man he admired and respected most. After the
organization of the new county he served as the county and probate
judge for a period of six years from 1871 to 1876. The land you are
standing on was given to Lincoln County by Judge George H. Josyln on
February 24, 1872. It was ordered by the second term of court, April
16, 1872, that a court house be erected in the public square of Star
City on land given by Judge George H. Joslyn. Judge Josyln died in
1928 and is buried in Roselawn Memorial Park in Little Rock along
with many other members of the Joslyn - Carder Family.
The Carder family came to Arkansas from Virginia in 1850, settling
in Grant County near Sheridan, later coming to Lincoln county in
1925. The Josyln - Carder family was created in 1933 when Maxine
Joslyn, granddaughter of Judge George H. Joslyn and William Herschel
Carder were married.
We dedicate this plaque to the memory of the Joslyn - Carder family
members who have gone before us and to their many accomplishments
for Lincoln County.
November 23, 1991
William Hershel Carder Sr.
Maxine Joslyn Carder
William Herschel Carder Jr.
William Herschel Carder III
Looking up inside the tower.