Ashley - Alexander House
Walkers Corner Road
501-961-1426 | 501-231-6796
house was built in 1835 by Chester Ashley and used by various
members of the Ashley family as a summer home. Mr.
Ashley's brother Elisha Pomeroy Woodruff constructed a saw mill
and grist mill on the other side of the road for Chester. The
mill was well
known as "Ashley's Mill" and later, after Chester
died, played a prominent role during the Civil War
Little Rock campaign.
In 1895, Arthur Lee and Otelia
(George) Alexander bought the plantation along with 1,000 acres
for $35,000. Otelia renamed the home "Illahee", a native
American term meaning "home" and passed it on to four more
generations of the Alexander Family. Great granddaughter
Bitsy Davis is the current owner and offers the home for
Weddings and other Special Events in a beautiful southern
setting. The home is also listed on the National Register.
This photograph is a condensed version of the
original. The original showed Mr. Alexander's plantation
in its heyday with 14 wagons of cotton, that could be counted,
and more lined up down the road with over 60 employees.
His beautiful wife,
Otelia George Alexander, was said to be actively involved in the
plantation and was known to be quite the cook and hostess.
She would have large barbecues and people would come far and
wide to enjoy the festivities.
and those beautiful
looks and southern hospitality passed down to their grand
daughter Bitzy Davis.
was a brother to Arthur Lee Alexander and helped in the
operations of the plantation.
Looks like a well.
Loooooked a little old to be climbing on it to check it out.
It does have a hole in the center.
Ashley - Alexander
Part One |