Thomas Cox (1845 - 1914) entered into the machinery business in Dardanelle,
Arkansas around 1885. He moved to Little Rock about 1900 and established
Thomas Cox & Sons Machinery Company in 1905 as an expansion of his existing
company. The main offices were located at 322 - 324 East Markham Street.
This building was constructed as the warehouse for the company circa 1906.
The company went out of business in 192, but the building continued to be used
as a warehouse until 1999.
The adaptive reuse of the building by the Central Arkansas Library System was
made possible by capital improvement bonds approved by Little Rock voters in
1998. Construction was completed in September 2001.