Laurence Dunbar High School
in honor of the outstanding "Poet Laureate" of the Negro race, was
14, 1930 to replace Gibbs High School. Previously named THE NEGRO
OF INDUSTRIAL ARTS. Dunbar was a Junior - Senior High School
offering general education, college preparatory, and terminal trade
courses until 1955.
Jr. College was housed on the second floor. A Julius Rosenwald
$67,500.00 and $30,000.00 from the school district promoted effort to
$0.5 million facility. Principals of Dunbar were Dr. John H.
Lewis, Dr. William
Martin, and Dr. LeRoy M. Christophe.