Sweet Home Pike, Sweet Home, Pulaski County, Arkansas
Old Patton Homestead
Confederate Home Founded
In 1888, on July 4, there was a large gathering of ex-Confederate
soldiers in Little Rock which resulted in the organization of the
Ex-Confederate Association of Arkansas. That body immediately set
about providing a home for disabled veterans and their widows, which
it succeeded in doing within the next two years. A 60-acre tract
having a house on it, near Little Rock was bought with money
contributed to the cause, and the remodeled dwelling as opened for
occupation, December 1, 1890. The next year Governor Eagle signed an
act creating a special tax levy for ex-Confederate pensions, and
setting aside $10,000 to erect and maintain the home as established
by the Ex-Confederate Association.
You can search the records of the Arkansas
Confederate Home online at:
Arkansas History Commission
All that is left now.
In 1955, a new smaller home was built on the
site of the current Arkansas School for the Blind.
Photograph by J.M., April 2010.
Photographed January 27,
2007 by Pris Weathers & Kay Tatum