St. Francis County Court
City, St. Francis County, Arkansas
Photographed by Desmond
Walls Allen - Arkansas Research
Old Courthouse Bell
This bell rang from the bell tower of the magnificent courthouse
that graced this site for seventy-nine years before the present
structure was built in 1976. The former courthouse was built in
1897 by Judge John S.R. Cowan of Hughes at a cost of $26,700
with no increase in taxes or bonds. Its fire-proof vaults ended
the destruction by fire of the county's records that had
occurred three times before.
The bell is mounted on the courthouse lawn in memory of St.
Francis County armed services veterans by the ladies of the
American Legion Auxiliary and County Judge Carl Cisco.
President Bettye Proctor
Vice-President Maureen Campbell
Secretary Bonnie Chapman
Treasurer Ruth Thomas
Historian Billie Winkler
Chaplain Troyce Morgan
Seargeant-at-arms Gladys Jones
Lula Belle Buford, Chairlady