506 East Douglas
PO Box 306
Washington County, Arkansas 72753
Phone 479-846-2990 Fax 479-846-4035
1862 site of Dec. 7, 1862 Civil War battle, originally listed September
4, 1970, boundaries increased November 9, 1992.
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on
September 4, 1970.
Information obtained & copied from the "Self-Guided
Driving Tour of the Prairie Grove Battlefield" provided by the Arkansas
State Parks Division at the Visitor's Center.
Erected by the Daughters of the Confederacy 1924.
Dedicated to the Soldiers of 1861-1865 1917-1918
Hindman Hall Museum
A bequest by Biscoe Hindman, son of General Thomas C. Hindman who
commanded Confederate forces during the Battle of Prairie Grove,
provided the $100,000 to establish on the Battlefield a "Suitable
Memorial" to his father and the brave men and officers who fought in
that Battle. 1965.
General Thomas C. Hindman
As part of the Hindman bequest & memorial, this painting & the above
statue must be located in public view at the Hindman Museum.
General Thomas C. Hindman
March of the Armies
December 3 - 7, 1862
General Hindman on the Arkansas River planned to drive General Blunt's
Federal Army out of northwest Arkansas. The Confederate Army left Van
Buren on December 3. Enroute north, Hindman learned that Blunt had
called for help from General Herron at Wilson's Creek, Mo., and that the
latter was already on the march. Hindman decided to bypass Blunt at Cane
Hill and march to intercept Herron. Herron's army made a forced march of
100 miles in 3 days and ran into the Confederate advance early on the
morning of Sunday, December 7. The Confederates established themselves
on this ridge, facing northeast. Herron crossed the Illinois River and
attacked. Meanwhile Blunt at Can Hill learned that the Confederate Army
has bypassed him, so he marched his army to Rhea's Mill, then approached
the battle from the northwest, arriving on the field at 2 P.m. Darkness
finally halted the bitterly fought battle. During the night, Hindman's
Army, low on supplies and ammunition, withdrew south to Van Buren.
Shoup Chooses the Position
Confederate infantry marched up the road to the left and arrived in time
to hear the Southern cavalry skirmishing with General Herron's Federals
at Walnut Grove (about two miles east of here). General Francis A. Shoup
decided to deploy his division along the ridge from the road to beyond
the Borden house east of this location. Upon arriving General Hindman
approved the disposition, noting the position was "an exceedingly strong
one." Dr. Hugh Rogers' house sat across the road northwest of here.
| Prairie Grove One
| Two |