Floyd Herman Prater – Sumner Cemetery...

Apr 28, 2016 by

Click to enlarge images.              ...

read more

Warner Brown Hospital – El Dorado Ar...

Jan 27, 2016 by

In 1919 construction began on the initial portion of El Dorado’s hospital. It was financed by Paul Brown and local businessmen. The hospital cost approximately $300,000 and was named in memory of Paul Brown’s Father. On January 10, 1921 the doors of the Warner Brown Hospital were opened and in full operation with 68 patient beds and employing 10 people. On Nov 30, 1927 the administration of the Warner Brown Hospital was shifted to the Catholic Sisters of Mercy in Little Rock. El Dorado’s population grew rapidly due to industry in the oil boom in the 1920’s. At El Dorado’s peak the population was over 20,000. In the 1940’s the Sisters of Mercy realized an expansion program was needed. This expansion was to be funded by community donations, government grants, and the Sisters themselves....

read more

Old Poinsett County Jail – Harrisburg Ar...

Jan 27, 2016 by

For more photos please visit:“Abandoned Arkansas” Kirk is a 2006 graduate of Southside High School Fort Smith.. his hobbies include acting, video games, urban exploration, hiking, canoeing, weightlifting and fitness. Currently a first degree black belt in Goju Ryu Karate. He has performed in the Edinburgh Scotland Fringe Theatre Festival and attended the one week extensive workshop at the New York Film Academy in California.  Kirk’s website can be found...

read more

Verser Clinic Hospital

Jun 11, 2015 by

In January 1949, the Verser Clinic Hospital was opened by Dr. Walter William (W.W) and son Dr. Joe Verser. It was a twenty-five bed facility housed in the former First Baptist Church of Harrisburg Arkansas. Three of the back rooms in the clinic were made into an apartment for Dr. Joe and his wife to live in. They lived there for thirteen years. Patients would sit down at his breakfast table and discuss their ailments. In 1947 Dr. Joe joined his father (W.W) on the Arkansas State Medical Board which is a licensing and disciplinary board for physicians. Dr. Joe became secretary in 1949 and remained as such for 43 years until he retired from the position in 1991. Dr. Joe Verser was one of the 18 founders of Arkansas Bluecross, Blue Shield in...

read more

The Forgotten South – Video...

Jun 5, 2015 by

Photography/Video by James Kirkendall Background Music: Mellon Udrigle by Kim...

read more

Paris, Logan County Coal Miner’s Memorial...

May 31, 2015 by

Paris, Logan County Coal Miner’s Memorial       Photographs taken October 2014 by Pris Weathers.                                                                    ...

read more

Eastern State Sanitorium – Talihina Ok...

Apr 17, 2015 by

The sanatorium opened November 21st, 1921 with facilities for about 50 patients. The buildings included the administration building, a frame pavilion building, and three frame cottages. The admin building housed general offices, laboratory, x-ray room, operating room examination room, kitchen & dining room. Female employees lived on the second floor of the building. By 1924 a hospital building had been completed adding 50 beds to the hospital. Each patient had their own room with hot & cold running water, toilet, linen closet and a screened porch. The laundry, power plant and steam plant were located just north of these buildings. In July 1925, the Legislature approved $45,000 for the construction of a new building to serve as living quarters for the nurses. The 2-story building was completed in April 1926. October of the following...

read more

Southside Elementary – El Dorado Arkansas...

Apr 2, 2015 by

Southside Elementary School is the oldest school building in El Dorado that was still in use as of April 23 1986. It is a 2 Story building with a spacious basement. It is one year older then the Yocum Elemtary School in El Dorado. The land was purchased by the El Dorado School district on May 13 1924 and the building was constructed on April 5, 1926. Between 1924 and 1926 classes were conducted in portable buildings. Southside Elementary School had about 300 students up until about mid 1980’s, and they had about 350 students or more during the oil boom. Architects and engineers conducted a survey of Southside Elementary School. $250,000 to replace electrical systems, $500,000 and up to repair heating and cooling, $100,000 to repair foundation problems. $750,000 to $1 million to repair the worn out systems and building would...

read more

World War II Hero Lt. Col. Robert Hite...

Mar 31, 2015 by

Lt. Col. Robert Hite, one of the famed World War II “Doolittle Tokyo Raiders,” died Sunday at 95. Wallace Hite said his father died Sunday morning at a nursing facility in Nashville after battling Alzheimer’s disease, according to The Associated Press. “Today he decided to go home and be with his wife,” Wallace Hite said. Wallace Hite said his father would want to be remembered for his patriotism, and for others to share the same sentiment. “I think he would want two things: that’s the attitude we ought to have about our country; and the second is, he was just doing his job,” he said. The Raiders will be honored with the Congressional Gold Medal on April 15 in Washington, then present it on April 18 — the 73rd anniversary of the raid —...

read more

The Opera Block – Rogers Arkansas...

Mar 18, 2015 by

Starting in 1890 a variety of entertainers and speakers grace the stage of the Opera Block of downtown Rogers Arkansas.         Original architecture and remnants still remain in the building including a poster during the speaking of Sitting Bull. Thomas Edison also spoke here.         The stage seated 630 people and the price of admission was around 15 cents. Included a boxing and wrestling ring.         The bottom floors were used as bushiness spaces such as Hunts Department Store, Dixie Land Shoes, Coleman Shoes, Citizens Bank, American National Bank and a grocery store.         The Opera House floor closed in 1934, used for storage after that.         The current owner John Mack of JKJ Architects, is devoted to preserving...

read more

Spring Park – White County...

Feb 9, 2015 by

Spring Park The town of Searcy developed around the White Sulphur Springs, and was known as a health resort from the 1830’s to 1900. The original town plot, including the park, was the subject of litigation over ownership. The title was cleared in 1880 and Israel Merrick Moore gave the land, for the use of the public forever. – White County Historical Society – 1992.    ...

read more

Beebe War Memorial – White County...

Feb 9, 2015 by

The Beebe War Memorial might be simple in nature but it has over 560 men and women who served our country listed on it. ?????, Clarence ?????, Forest A. ?????, Hershel ?????, John D. ?????, Ola C. ?????? ??????, Marion ????????????? Abington, Dr. W.H. Adams, Loyd J. Adcock, Wasco Allen, John T. Allen, Lloyd Allen, Oatley A. Allen, Ottis S. Ambeau, Myrian C. Anderson, Jimmy A. Anthony, Coy Armstrong, Sid A. Asbury, Helen Welch Atkinson, Huel F. Baker, H. Wallace Ball, Lewis Ballard, Derald O. Ballard, James C. Barnes, Eddie M. Barnes, W.R. “Dick” Barnett, William C. Barron, S.L. Sonny Barron, Thomas P. Batey, Doyle W. Beal, Thomas L. Beard, James Clay Belding, Bill Belew, J.W. Belew, Leslie Belew, Monroe Bennett, WR. Bentley, Shawn D. Benton, Andrew S. Benton, Carthel L. Benton, Ellis Benton,...

read more