Benton County was maintained by Tami Ramsey until 2007 and is currently maintained by Pat Asher & Nancy Feroe. Very nice, simple table layout and design. Minimal graphics and easy on the eyes color scheme.
Table starts off with a simple history of the county and then provides a list of current resources:
- Funeral Homes
- Government-Benton County
- Government-City of Bentonville
- Museums & Historical Sites
- Native Americans
- Timeline, 1541-1999
All of those links work and the addition of current information is very nice to those who are not familiar with Benton County. The next section title “Online Resources” I assumed were links to other information but was pleasantly surprised to find onsite info:
- Biographies & Family Group Sheets – Goodspeed Biographies for Benton County
- Books / Lookups
- Cemeteries – Very nice listing of the cemetery information available from various resources.
- Census – One broken link to the 1860 census. Other links work fine.
- County Officials 1836-1958 – Nice database
- Deaths – Mortality schedules for 1850 & 1860.
- Land / Deeds – Very nice database of deeds from 1833 – 1875 & first lot owners in Bentonville.
- Marriages – App. 50 transcriptions.
- Military Records – Valuable links to other websites with info.
- Obituaries – not many obits but what they have is laid out well.
- Photographs – again, not many but what they do have is laid out well.
- Postcards – about 10 which show historical sites in the county.
- NWAGS Probate Index – nice probate index, several hundred listed.
- Wills (transcriptions) – about 10 wills donated. Can’t fault this, will transcriptions are generally not that common due to the limited amount of interest to the public in general.
There is a nice working search box, a section for queries, a list of researchers websites and a list of outside links to more information.
- Arkansas County Courthouses
- Northwest Arkansas Publications
- Miscellaneous Genealogy Helpers
- RootsWeb Resources for Benton County, AR
- Linkpendium Resources for Benton County, AR
- Search the LDS database (FamilySearch.org)
- Search the DAR Library Catalog
- University of Arkansas Libraries/Special Collections
Overall, this is a very nice website and well worth checking out if you have northern Arkansas ancestors. I found the one bad link on the 1860 census but believe this is just a case of the info being moved around. The ladies have done very well in making it a quality website!