Hiram and Lydia College
In 1871 Isom L. Burrow founded a seminary at Lewisburg, Arkansas. In 1875 he moved to Altus and opened a school there which was called “Central Collegiate Institute.” Although it was a privately owned school, it was recognized and promoted by the Methodist Episcopal Church South. In 1882 the conferences adopted it as a training school and in 1884 purchased it. In 1886 Rev. A.C. Miller was elected president and succeeded in moving the college to Conway in 1890 at which time it was renamed “Hendrix College.” The old property at Altus was turned over to Professor Burrow, who opened it as a private college under the name “Hiram and Lydia College,” after his parents. It survived until about 1906 when it was purchased by the town of Altus to serve their school needs.
To read more about Hiram and Lydia College: